TL;DR: Fast-growing early-stage mental health tech startup seeking a scrappy business operations generalist with prior experience at an early-stage, high-growth startup. You'll be the right-hand to our Founder & CEO, AJ Goldstein. Together, we'll reinvent therapy and change the mental health of millions. Details below!
Aware Healthcare is reinventing therapy. We're a venture-backed digital health startup creating a new mental health care system where everyone can get the quality care they deserve. 100 million Americans are currently struggling with a mental health issue, yet only 10% are receiving evidence-based care. That’s why we’re solving for access and quality, by building a national provider network and patient data platform that makes it easy to find the right therapist and know you’re getting better. We’re the first network of therapists to use treatment based on science and data shared by patients to deliver truly personalized care. Through making the process of finding and receiving quality mental health care easier, we help patients get better faster, providers grow their practices, and payers lower their costs. We’ve raised $1.5mm to date from over a dozen top institutional and angel investors (including the CTO of AirBnB, Chief Scientist of Pinterest, and ex-Administrator of SAMHSA), were founded in 2020 by AJ Goldstein (previously early at Calm and Oura), and are based in San Francisco CA, with remote team members across the country. You can learn more about Aware here: https://www.awarehc.com/
About the Founder:
AJ Goldstein is the Founder and CEO of Aware Healthcare. Prior to Aware, AJ founded and ran a six-figure profitable AI consulting group called Conscious Insights, where he helped grow 8 early-stage startups into leading digital health brands over 3 years, including Calm, Oura, and Akili. While running Conscious Insights, AJ founded and hosted a popular data science podcast called Data Journeys, where he interviewed 25 world class data scientists from 13 organizations with over $1B in annual revenue and grew a following of 50k+ in 128 countries. Motivated by his own personal experience with the problem, AJ has committed the next decade of his life to creating a new mental health care system with Aware. You can read AJ’s story behind Aware here: https://www.awarehc.com/founders-story
About the Role:
- Title: Business Operations Lead
- Location: San Francisco or remote
- Type: Full-Time
We’re looking for a business operations generalist to help reinvent therapy.
In this role, you’ll serve as the right-hand person to our Founder & CEO, AJ Goldstein; helping to both amplify his efforts and function as a thought partner on a diverse set of challenges.
The role of Business Operations Lead has been given various definitions, but at Aware it can be broken down very simply: creatively solve any problem that is thrown your way with a bias toward efficiency and an executive mindset.
On any given day, you might find yourself launching new initiatives, taking them from 0 to 1, helping to grow the team, running experiments and reporting KPIs, consulting on various projects throughout the company, and much much more. Each week will be very different.
This will be a senior role within the company and a career-defining role for the right person.
- Work side-by-side with the CEO as his right-hand.
- Be one of the first five employees for a new venture-backed startup.
- Oversee operations, finance, human resources, research, and legal.
- Be simultaneously the most multi-faceted and detail-oriented person in the company.
- Regularly switch between strategic and tactical, and make connections between the two.
- Serving as a “hands-on polymath” by constantly learning new things quickly and contributing wherever it is the organization needs you most that day or week.
- Serving as a “systems thinker” by establishing standard operating procedures (e.g. toolkits, handbooks, checklists) to ensure a quality and uniform experience for our customers.
- Serving as a “force multiplier” by proactively identifying inefficiencies and developing solutions to expand organizational effectiveness (time/attention/resources/information).
- Serving as a “trusted advisor” by listening with an open-mind, asking provocative questions, pressure-testing decisions, and providing divergent points-of-view.
Ideally you have the right...
- Previously worked in the healthcare industry, a business operations role, or both.
- Have prior startup experience at an early-stage company on a high-performing team.
- Think like a business operator.
- Are more of a generalist than a specialist.
- Believe that nothing is below you and anything is possible.
- Have been described as a “very fast learner” and “surprisingly resourceful”.
- Are a relentless and creative problem solver who “finds a way no matter what”.
- Can operate in ambiguous situations, at fast speeds, and with lots of self-direction.
- Are a highly-empathetic, agreeable, and patient listener who makes others feel heard.
- Come across as warm, trustworthy, and relatable to people of all backgrounds.
- Naturally find yourself thinking about others, their needs, and what you can do to help.
- Are meticulously detail-oriented and organized.
- Have the ability to juggle many priorities at once while not dropping any balls.
- Can quickly go from 0% to 80% knowledge on a new subject, in a matter of days.
- Love the experience of autonomy, mastery, and purpose that comes with joining a fast-growing startup and working side-by-side with the CEO.
Why This Role?
This position will provide an incredible opportunity to learn and grow, while saving the lives and changing the mental health of millions in the process.
- You will learn first-hand how a rapidly growing company is built, run, and scaled.
- Since the role will constantly change based on the needs of the company, you will have your hand in almost every part of the business at some point.
- As the company grows, you’ll build a Business Operations team, or you can pivot and own another functional area of the company.
This role may *not* be for you if:
- You're looking for a 9-5 job. We are an early-stage startup and we work very hard to push toward our ambitious plans.
- You ask for permission rather than forgiveness. We're looking for someone who will take ownership of any situation, whether it's part of their normal responsibilities or another hat they've donned at Aware.
- You're not comfortable with a bit of chaos. Each day is different, and projects and priorities often shift. We're looking for an adaptable team player who is comfortable and confident in the face of change.
- Mission-driven company with an industry-shaping goal and world-class team.
- Opportunity to make a significant difference on the future of mental health.
- High-growth environment supportive of individual autonomy, mastery, and purpose.
- Full premium medical/dental/vision insurance coverage starting your first day.
- One-of-a-kind company values and team work culture.
- Competitive salary, equity, and benefits.
- Flexible vacation and time-off policy.
- For more information visit: www.awarehc.com/careers