TL;DR: Fast-growing early-stage mental health tech startup seeking a software engineer to lead our mobile development. You’ll be one of the first 10 employees at a fully-funded and commercially-flourishing startup. Together, we'll reinvent therapy and change the mental health of millions. Details below!
Aware Healthcare is building the data infrastructure to scale world-class mental health therapy.
Every day, 100 million Americans struggle with a mental health issue, yet only 10% are receiving care based on science. That’s why we’re building a new mental health care system driven by data, where patients receive individualized care, clinicians deliver proven treatments, and insurance pays for outcomes not sessions.
While the rest of our industry is optimizing for quantity, we are laser focused on quality. Leveraging our data platform, we’ve landed contracts with all of the top 7 insurance companies, which unlocks access to 200M+ Americans and pays higher rates than any competitor.
We have raised $5.7mm from top executives at Google, PayPal, Lyft, and AirBnB and investors who previously funded Square, Instacart, Twilio, GrubHub, StitchFix, OpenDoor, and SpaceX. We were founded in 2020 by AJ Goldstein (previously early at Calm and Oura) and are based in San Francisco, CA. You can learn more about Aware here: https://www.awarehc.com/
About the Role:
- You’ll be leading development of our mobile platform used to capture patient sensor data, working alongside our other engineers building our web interface.
- You’ll be building a data dashboard for psychotherapists that surfaces insights about patient behavior in-the-wild using raw sensor data from smartphones and then makes treatment recommendations to the therapist and patient.
- On the backend, you’ll be building scalable and reliable systems to ingest and process data from patients’ IoT devices (e.g. smartphones, wearables, laptops, smart homes, connected cars). What we’re building is the largest digital dataset of an individual’s mental health.
- On the frontend, you’ll be building the user experience for patients and providers so that the data-driven insights we surface are actionable in improving mental health outcomes.
- Our current tech stack uses React (web), React Native (mobile), and TypeScript.
- Our team is fully remote.
What We're Looking For
We care less about your resume and traditional markers of prestige, and more about what you’d be able to achieve in the role. With that said, here are a few things that you may have done before that would be helpful:
- You’ve used React Native in a production setting within the last year to build mobile apps.
- You’ve worked on a smaller team before (ideally at a funded early-stage startup like Aware) and you enjoy the faster pace and higher levels of ownership + autonomy.
- You’ve had to scale and maintain an app and understand the importance of having a strong culture around code quality.
And if you’ve done any of the following, that’d be even more helpful!
- You’ve worked at a healthcare company that’s had to deal with sensitive patient data and ensuring HIPAA compliance.
- You have experience doing passive data collection from users using iOS and Android applications.
If you believe in our mission, we encourage you to apply even if your experience doesn't precisely match the above.
Why Join Aware?
- Use your engineering skills for good and make a huge impact on the future of mental health.
- Work with an impressive roster of all-stars who have decades of experience building and scaling healthcare startups to IPO and $1b+ valuations.
- Shape the culture of a remote-first company that values you and supports your mental and physical wellbeing with 100% coverage of premium medical/dental/vision insurance and flexible time off policies.
- Join a well-funded startup with the stability to survive through the current tech downturn.
- Receive the financial upside and grow opportunities that come with being an early member of a rapidly growing startup.
- React Native for UIs
- Native libraries for data collection
- Swift and Objective-C for native iOS code
- Kotlin for native Android code
- Growth: We believe it is not where we are, but where we are headed, that matters. We are always improving and never complacent; eager to reflect on and learn from our mistakes.
- Relentless: We pride ourselves on persistence, creatively push the limits of what is possible, and ‘find a way no matter what’ after others have given up.
- Quality First: We choose quality over speed every day of the week. Because we care deeply about the people we serve, we meticulously craft every detail of our patient experience.
- First Principles: We think from first principles, not by analogy. We curiously question and scientifically test assumptions to arrive at more creative solutions.
- Data Driven: We see numbers as a currency for trust. Whenever possible, we use them in place of words to create shared understanding and make objective decisions.
- Radical Candor: We embrace difficult conversations, communicate openly what we are thinking and feeling, and build trust through transparency with one another.
About the Founder:
AJ Goldstein is the Founder and CEO of Aware Healthcare. Prior to Aware, AJ founded and ran a six-figure profitable AI consulting group called Conscious Insights, where he helped grow 8 early-stage startups into leading digital health brands over 3 years, including Calm, Oura, and Akili (all $1B+ mental health companies). While running Conscious Insights, AJ founded and hosted a popular data science podcast called Data Journeys, where he interviewed 25 world class data scientists from 13 organizations with over $1B in annual revenue and grew a following of 50k+ in 128 countries. Motivated by his own personal experience with the problem, AJ has committed the next decade of his life to creating a new mental health care system with Aware. You can read AJ’s story behind Aware here: https://www.awarehc.com/founders-story
If you’re interested in working with us, we’d love to hear from you! We encourage you to apply even if your experience doesn't precisely match the job description.
At Aware, we know employing a team rich in diverse thoughts, experiences, and opinions allows our employees, our product and our community to flourish. Aware is an equal opportunity workplace. We are dedicated to equal employment opportunities regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status.