TL;DR: Fast-growing mental health tech startup seeking a psychotherapist, psychologist, or psychiatrist with prior experience directing clinical care for a large 25+ provider practice/network. This role is part Clinical Operations, part Quality Management, and part Clinical Product. You’ll work side-by-side with the CEO as one of the first 5 employees at a fully-funded and commercially-flourishing startup. Together, we’ll shape the future of behavioral health care, and change the mental health of millions in the process. Details below!
Aware Healthcare is turning therapy from an art to a science. We’re a venture-backed startup, on a mission to create the highest quality mental health care franchise in the world.
Every day, 100 million Americans struggle with a mental health issue, yet only 10% are receiving care based on science. That’s why we’re building a new mental health care system driven by data, where patients receive individualized care, clinicians deliver proven treatments, and insurance pays for outcomes not sessions.
While the rest of our industry is optimizing for quantity, we are laser focused on quality. Leveraging our data platform, we recently landed contracts with 6 of the top 7 insurance companies, which unlock access to 111M Americans and pay higher rates than any competitor.
We have raised $5.7mm from top executives at Google, PayPal, Lyft, and AirBnB and investors who previously funded Square, Instacart, Twilio, GrubHub, StitchFix, OpenDoor, and SpaceX. We were founded in 2020 by AJ Goldstein (previously early at Calm and Oura) and are based in Los Angeles CA. You can learn more about Aware here: https://www.awarehc.com/
About the Role:
- Title: Founding Head of Therapy
- Location: Los Angeles (preferred) or Remote
- Type: Full-Time
We’re looking for a psychotherapist, psychologist, or psychiatrist to help reinvent therapy.
In this Founding Head of Therapy role, you’ll create conditions for the most trustworthy mental health care experience in the world. To do this, you'll be responsible for designing, implementing, and managing the scalable “clinical quality guardrail” systems which ensure a consistent, five-star experience for all patients across our national network of 250 (and eventually 10,000+) providers. You'll work side-by-side with the CEO as one of the first 5 employees at our fully-funded and commercially-flourishing startup.
This role is part Clinical Operations, part Quality Management, and part Clinical Product. This means that on any given day, you might find yourself writing clinical SOPs, operationalizing new charting requirements, designing new features for our provider-member data dashboard, reporting quality metrics to insurance payer partners, and much more. You won’t have to do it alone either! You will be pivotal in shaping and recruiting your clinical team.
At Aware, we believe in obsessing over quality care for our patients, and doing what makes good clinical sense (not just good business sense). We strive to be tech-forward, clinically-responsible, and patient-centered. To help ensure we consistently make decisions that value long-term clinical quality over short-term business profits, you'll have an equal seat at the table with executive leadership in making decisions and setting direction.
Providers that you and your team will be directing care for include: psychotherapists, psychologists, nurse care practitioners, and psychiatrists.
This will be a leadership role within the company, and a career-defining role for the right person.
- Evaluate Clinicians: interview, assess, and invite new providers into the network.
- Design Systems: design ‘clinical quality guardrails’ that ensure consistent high-quality care is delivered by providers across the network, without direct supervision required.
- Implement Processes: operationalize the systems you design for day-to-day practice.
- Manage Quality: continually measure and iterate upon your systems and processes to improve provider performance and patient outcomes.
- Integrate Technology: serve as a subject matter expert for our engineering team, advising on software features that drive greater value for our providers and patients.
- Build Community: with your clinical team, promote provider belonging via webinars, monthly newsletters, online groups, etc.
- Represent Brand: help us pitch providers to join the network and payers to partner.
- Be a psychotherapist (LCSW, LPC, MFT), psychologist (PsyD or PhD), or psychiatrist (NP, DO, MD).
- Have prior experience directing a large 25+ provider practice/network
- Are a systems-builder with a love for designing scalable & repeatable processes.
- Promote an evidence-based, data-driven approach to patient care.
- Find energy working in fast-paced startup environments with lots of self-direction.
- Consider yourself a trailblazer who is hungry to expand the standard of care.
- Solve problems creatively and relentlessly, finding a way “no matter what”.
- Have a high-bar for what you consider to be clinically-excellent care.
If the perfect candidate existed, they would…
- Have past experience leading a virtual network of tele-health providers at scale.
- Have past experience at a venture-backed digital mental health care startup.
- Have high business acumen, tech-savviness, and operational attention-to-detail.
NOTE: You do NOT need to have licensure in any state(s) to begin. We will pay for you to obtain licensure in our target states as needed.
This role may *not* be for you if:
- You're looking for a role with hands-on clinical supervision, training, or case conceptualization. We're building a national network of eventually tens of thousands of clinicians, so everything we do needs to be done with nationwide scale in mind.
- You're not inspired by quantitative decision making, a 100% telehealth practice, and the promise of measuring the mind. We are data-driven, believe the future of therapy is virtual, and are on a mission to build the Thermometer for the Mind.
- You're looking for a 9-5 job, ask for permission rather than forgiveness, or aren’t comfortable with a bit of chaos. We’re a fast-growing startup, which means we all work hard, promote an ownership mindset, and quickly adapt to changing priorities.
- Mission-driven company with an industry-shaping goal and world-class team.
- Opportunity to make a significant difference on the future of mental health.
- High-growth environment supportive of individual autonomy, mastery, and purpose.
- 100% coverage of premium medical/dental/vision insurance starting your first day.
- One-of-a-kind company values and team work culture.
- Competitive salary, equity, and benefits.
- Flexible vacation and time-off policy.
- For more information visit: www.awarehc.com/careers
- Growth: We believe it is not where we are, but where we are headed, that matters. We are always improving and never complacent; eager to reflect on and learn from our mistakes.
- Relentless: We pride ourselves on persistence, creatively push the limits of what is possible, and ‘find a way no matter what’ after others have given up.
- Quality First: We choose quality over speed every day of the week. Because we care deeply about the people we serve, we meticulously craft every detail of our patient experience.
- First Principles: We think from first principles, not by analogy. We curiously question and scientifically test assumptions to arrive at more creative solutions.
- Data Driven: We see numbers as a currency for trust. Whenever possible, we use them in place of words to create shared understanding and make objective decisions.
- Radical Candor: We embrace difficult conversations, communicate openly what we are thinking and feeling, and build trust through transparency with one another.
About the Founder:
AJ Goldstein is the Founder and CEO of Aware Healthcare. Prior to Aware, AJ founded and ran a six-figure profitable AI consulting group called Conscious Insights, where he helped grow 8 early-stage startups into leading digital health brands over 3 years, including Calm, Oura, and Akili. While running Conscious Insights, AJ founded and hosted a popular data science podcast called Data Journeys, where he interviewed 25 world class data scientists from 13 organizations with over $1B in annual revenue and grew a following of 50k+ in 128 countries. Motivated by his own personal experience with the problem, AJ has committed the next decade of his life to creating a new mental health care system with Aware. You can read AJ’s story behind Aware here: https://www.awarehc.com/founders-story
If you’re interested in working with us, we’d love to hear from you! We encourage you to apply even if your experience doesn't precisely match the job description.
At Aware, we know employing a team rich in diverse thoughts, experiences, and opinions allows our employees, our product and our community to flourish. Aware is an equal opportunity workplace. We are dedicated to equal employment opportunities regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status.